
Remember that lecture in college about "Nature vs. Nurture"? I'm sure we've all been a part of it. It usually takes place in psychology 101 or child development; maybe even criminal justice or English class. Anyway, the professor begins the class by posing a question about whether people (or one person in particular) is the way he is because of his genes or because of his environment. A long, heated discussion ensues in which students offer compelling arguments for both sides.
I have to admit that before I had children, I was on the side of "Nurture". I was convinced that the little brat running uncontrollably down the aisles of the grocery store was a turd because his parents made him that way; they were bad parents and they should be ashamed of themselves. Now that I'm a parent (and have a few of those uncontrollable children myself), I'm afraid I find myself at the other end of the spectrum. I'm a big proponent of the "Nature" argument.
The activity that I found Gavin engaged in this morning is a good example. Who the heck conditions little boys to find their toy garbage truck, turn it on it's side, go to another part of the house to get the toolbox, put the drill bit on the toy drill, and "fix" the lug of the wheel of the toy garbage truck? NOBODY!!! They come this way!! I've witnesses it first-hand! All toddler boys do this stuff!
OK, I know there are some exceptions but we won't go into what's down the road for those little boys...
1 comment:
I completely agree. Like the gun thing. Everything that little boys touch is wielded into a dangerous weapon of mass destruction and chaos. -Amazing that they survive childhood.
Really, what parent in their right mind would nurture that? We just want them to live and hopefully not permanantly maime anyone else in the process -especially in the isles of the grocery store.
Post a Comment