Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The First Day



Well, it's been an exciting day. Everyone had a great first day of school. The only complaints I heard this afternoon were:

Jolie wasn't allowed to sit by her friends at lunch (who are in other grades or 1st grade classes); everyone else bought their lunch rather than bringing a lunch from home (obviously Jolie is new to the school lunch experience: she actually thinks she was deprived of something); Tristan's teacher kept mispronouncing his name; and Tristan's new school has assigned seating at lunch.

Given that 90% of their complaints were about lunch, I'd say it was a good day.

I was amazed at how easily the day went for Tristan. He had no reservations whatsoever. He went right into his classroom, he said he played basketball at both recesses and he even has a field trip tomorrow! Unbelievable!

Jolie is wearing her "nervous look" in the photo that I took outside her classroom. I think she may be the one who has a harder transition. She seemed pretty tired and emotional this afternoon, even though she only had a half day of school. I was also surprised that when the bus pulled up after school, she didn't get off. Gavin, Tristan and I beat her home so we walked to the corner to greet her. We waited and waited for her to get off... no Jolie. I climbed onto the bus and the bus driver even called her name over the intercom. Jolie finally appeared. When she got off the bus she had her lunch bag but not her backpack. Turns out she left it on the bus. Sooo... let's just say that I'm glad we walked to the corner to greet her. I do have to say that she did better than the little 2nd grader who got off the bus (at the same stop he got off at all last year) and didn't know his way home. His older brother moved onto junior high this year.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yeah, first day kids! I wish I could have school lunch- Nice ladies who whip up nutritious, tasty food and serve it to you...what more could you ask for?