Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Destruction on a Larger Scale


This morning Gavin and I were surprised by an unexpected visitor who was ringing our doorbell impatiently at 9:00 a.m. It was "Howard", our contractor's burly, tank-top-wearing demo guy. After I changed into something more presentable and answered the door, he announced that he was here to tear out our driveway and he needed me to move our car. Gavin and I delayed our morning walk for a while so that we could observe destruction on a very large scale. What could be more exciting to a 3 year old boy than not one, not two, not three, but FOUR pieces of construction equipment in his very own yard (for the record: a huge bulldozer, a tractor, dump truck and another piece of equipment I can't accuratly identify but we call it a "grader".) We watched Howard for a while and then went on our walk. The whole time we were gone Gavin kept asking if we could go home. Sitting in a stroller and listening to your mother pant breathlessly apparently isn't as exciting as watching a big guy operate a bulldozer.

For the record, our contractor poured our retaining wall yesterday and they're getting ready to pour the basketball court and side-drive. It looks like we'll be parking on the street for a while since the driveway is mostly demo'd. I don't know when they'll get started on tearing out our front steps and grading for the walkway (which is currently the location of our dead lawn.) I'm learning that it doesn't matter how much you hate looking at your dead lawn though, these things happen as your contractor's schedule allows (and when your contractor only works 4 hours a day, it may be a while!)

No comments: