
Last night was Tristan's pinewood derby. He and Grandpa have been working on his car for several weeks. It's a good thing that Grandpa took this project on because Dan and I have been rather overwhelmed with the day-to-day and I don't think we would have got his car built in time. For those unfamiliar with cub scouts, the boys start with a plain block of wood and carve it into a car, paint it, put the axles and wheels on, and then the best of the best do all sorts of strategic things to their car so that it is FAST (weights, graphite, etc.) It was a very exciting event. Tristan's car was pretty fast.
On a sidenote, the scoring of the cars ended up being rather mysterious (dare I say a sham?) It's been bothering me all morning. Somehow the slower cars ended up winning the awards. The guy who was scoring the cars was using an Excel spreadsheet and I honestly think his formula was messed up. Tristan noticed this as well (that the slower cars won the awards) and he was upset as we were walking home. I tried to brush it off with him but I find myself in a dilemna. Is it better to let it go or should I be the crybaby parent who looks into the matter? I think my sense of justice may prevail.
**Tristan's car is the red and silver one, third from the right on the bottom row**

3 comments:
As a cub master's wife I say let it go. Danen had to do enough to pull the night off, and the whining needy guests just about pushed him over the edge. If it's really important to you, then volunteer to be in charge of it next time. I'm sure there are plenty more PWDs to come.
His car sure looks fancy.
Great photo of all the boys being so excited!
Yah, it is too late to change the awards now, but you could mention it for next time. We used free computer software that calculated it all. A lot of the tracks have laser light timers. I have a list of available tracks, if you want it for next year.
That is frustrating, though. :-(
I hope everyone still had fun.
Post a Comment