Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ballerinas



Last night we attended Jolie's ballet recital. She's been taking ballet for three years and she's really quite good. A few weeks ago her teacher asked me whether she was going to take next year. I confessed that we weren't sure. Jolie has been nagging us about taking gymnastics and I've told her she can only do two activities at a time (for my own sanity). Jolie's teacher seemed devastated. She's always telling me what a great student Jolie is and how much she depends on her.

I seem to have come across another parenting dilemna: does one encourage their children to focus on one activity and develop and hone their skills so they become really accomplished at that ONE thing? Or, does one encourage said children to try their hand at a lot of things, whereby potentially never becoming good at anything? And if you opt for the former, how do you know what that ONE thing is?

I'm having the same dilemna with Tristan as he's announced that he wants to play football (yes, that's right... FOOTBALL). He started with baseball and soccer and this year he really wanted to play basketball. Now football? Yikes. Not only do Dan and I know NOTHING about football, but they practice five days a week!

Who knows... maybe gymnastics and football will be our thing.

I think I'll still encourage Jolie to stick with ballet.


2 comments:

Robin said...

I think it's still early enough to experiment with a few and decide on one in a bit. If it's football maybe you should send him our way. Afterall, there are no more intense football fans ANYWHERE else!

Jill said...

You should have told me about Jolies recital, I would have brought Madi. Oh wait, she was sick never mind. Darling dance outfit. We are starting Madi in dance this fall.