Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mia at Five Months


I've been meaning to post about Mia's recent achievements but there always seems to be something going on with the other kids. Don't be deceived. I still spend most of my waking hours holding her, kissing her and being otherwise completely infatuated with her.

Mia rolled over a couple weeks ago. It was actually mother's day when she was lying on my bed and rolled from her back to her stomach. I think it surprised her when she found herself on her tummy, she didn't know quite what to do. Two days later she rolled herself off the bed. I hesitate to make this confession as I know it will bring much condemnation. Look, it happened. She cried but no permanent damage seems to have been done. The important lesson was learned: don't underestimate a baby who can roll. Strangely, we've had to learn this lesson four times.

Mia is still our most content baby. She loves to smile. She kicks her little legs when she's excited. She has settled into a sleeping and eating schedule. She stays up late with me (I'm holding her and typing with one hand right now). She takes a long nap in the morning if she's allowed to do so. She gets fussy in the afternoon and evening but I've decided this must be par for the course with babies. She needs someone to hold her from four or five in the afternoon until midnight. It makes me a less efficient person and sometimes requires creativity (i.e. brushing someone's teeth while holding baby) but we've learned to manage.

Mia has discovered her feet. She's trying to figure out the significance of "this little piggy went to market". She thinks it's a pretty weird rhyme. She likes to spend short periods on her stomach. She will push up and give me a big smile of triumph. Then she kicks her legs for a bit, looks around, and inevitably calls for help after about five minutes. She's getting better with her hands. She can hold a toy to her mouth for a while. We dug the baby toys out of a box in the basement yesterday and found all kinds of gems for her to play with.

I'm amazed at how well Mia does in the car. All that I remember of my other three is long periods of crying and screaming and my stress level rising. Mia seems to love rides in the car. Sometimes I forget she's back there. I often have to ask the kids whether she's awake or asleep. I'm sure it helps to have three specimens to stare at while she's riding along (what could be more entertaining than them?)

She's developing an interest in food. A few nights ago the kids were eating Creamies and she wigged out. I couldn't figure out why she was so fussy and realized she was craning her neck to see the kids eating their treats. She wanted one! Maybe someone had sneaked her a little taste last time the Creamies came out of the freezer? Who would have done such a thing? Chocolate ice cream treats aren't appropriate for babies, afterall.

2 comments:

Robin said...

If rolling off the bed is the worst you can admit to, I'd say you're doing pretty well. All of ours have done it also (while under their father's care of course).
Does she only take one nap? I'm trying to figure out when to go to one-a-days.
She's a cutie.

Melinda said...

Mia is so cute.

Also, she is an intelligent female-I think she just innately knows what a chocolate creamy is.