Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mia's Marriage Proposal



Gavin can't get enough of Mia. I had to get a play pen because lying her on the floor for tummy time is a dangerous proposition. There's always someone jumping over her, dancing over her (one foot on each side of Mia), hugging her, picking her up to make her "dance", etc . When Mia's on the bed, Gavin is usually stradling her while telling her a story or singing her a song.

A few days ago Gavin was holding a small drawstring bag which held a ring of Jolie's. I'll recount our conversation:

(Gavin) "Mommy, do you know what I have in this bag?"

(Me) "Yes, it's a ring. Are you going to give it to me because you love me and you want me to marry you?"

(Gavin) "No."

(Me) "You're right, I can't marry you because I'm already married to Daddy."

(long pause)

(Gavin) "Mommy, when Mia gets big, I'm going to marry her."

I truly hope that Gavin's fondness for his little sister will last and that she survives infanthood with a brother who "loves" her so much.

2 comments:

Robin said...

There is something magical about older siblings loving their babies.
I just wish there was a little more loving and a little less smothering going on at our house.

Melinda said...

Pretty soon they'll be fighting like all my kids do.

Enjoy the love while it lasts. :-)