What better time to bring back the blog than during our two weeks in Hawaii? Don't get your hopes up (yes, I'm talking to you, Grandmas). The only reason I have the time to do this is because there are no toilets to clean or weeds to pull here in Maui. At least not for tourists.
We arrived Sunday evening after a long, arduous journey by airplane. It was an entertaining journey for some, Delta treated us all to our own flat-screen entertainment devices. There was an assortment of movies, games, music, flight maps, etc. to keep us busy during the long flight. Some of us (a.k.a Dan) even read 40 or so pages of our book. Others of us wrestled with a 17-month old and 4 year old who were easily bored by other means of entertainment. When we finally landed, we transferred our luggage to another air terminal (forgot to check it all the way as we were on two different airlines) and flew over to Maui. By the time we'd secured our rental car and packed ourselves and our brood in, the stress was running high.
There's something about driving through paradise that calms the spirit (even the pesky spirit of a grumpy, tired child... or 2 or 4 of them). The drive from the airport in Kahului to Ka'anapali (near Lahaina) was gorgeous. Maui is a lot different than I expected. It's not built up or commercialized at all. There are some large resorts in the area where we're staying, but you don't see any of that from the road. It feels very small-town and pristine. We've only seen a very small area of the island, but so far it's breathtaking.
I'd only been here 12 hours before I was trying to figure out how we could live here permanently. What sort of jobs could we get that would support us here? What kind of place would we live in? It probably wouldn't be a 4500 sf / 5 bedroom place like we have now, but living in paradise would make the close quarters tolerable. I even pictured the kids in a Hawaiian school by day and walking barefoot and surfing in their spare time.
A girl can dream anyway...
3 comments:
So I about fell off my bar stool this morning seeing your first update since February. YEAH!!!! I thought about you yesterday thinking you were in Maui now. Crazy how a place can make you want to move there so quickly!!! I can't wait to be there in a few weeks. Sure would have been fun if our trips could've been at the same time.
I'm so glad you are going to spend 2 weeks enjoying your family in such a beautiful location. I'm excited to see all the pictures. I'm super excited to see what Kauai looks like.
Enjoy every minute not scrubbing toilets or pulling weeds. You deserve every minutes of this trip.
I was hoping for the personal video machines on our flight to Orlando, but no such luck. It sounds like your flight wasn't too bad if Dan was able to read.
This blog is a ton of work, are you sure you wouldn't rather post a one-line status update on FB?
Just back from Wmsburg.Catching upon my rest. I really enjoy seeing the kids and you grown kids having a wonderful vacation together.
It is exciting to see new places and get the chance to experience new things. I know everyone has worked hard all year, at school, work, and home so it is well deserved.
GM Susan
Post a Comment