Today we drove up country to some favorite spots and to Haleakala, the crater formed by the east Maui volcano. This trip has been full of physics lessons provided by our science-minded manfolk. Today I learned how to make myself into a sundial to determine which direction was west (we were looking for the Big island from our observatory at Haleakala). I also learned what a crater really is (basically, the caldera from which the lava spews forth). It was breathtaking to look down into the angry bowels of Mother Earth. We were at 10,000 feet which is unbelievable, considering that we were at sea level just a few hours prior.
The diversity of this island is remarkable. On our way to the crater, we passed through Kula and had lunch at the Kula Lodge. This Maui felt like a different planet than the one we've been on since Sunday. The climate was cooler, the vegetation was completely different, and there was a wood-burning stove in the back of the restaurant which made it smell like a rustic haven. We passed through major rain clouds on our way to the summit, we couldn't see 10 feet in front of us. Snow wouldn't have surprised me.
We also stopped at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm while we were upcountry. It was beautiful and reminded me very much of France. I saw some unbelievable king protea stems which I almost bought and carried back to Utah. I kept reminding myself of the many trips back from San Diego with Birds of Paradise and the flack I took from Dan (probably warranted). The last thing I need with our large brood and baggage is a bunch of fragile flowers to baby across the islands and all the way home. I'm hoping I can get them in Kauai and hide them under my shirt (from Dan- not the TSA).
The kids did very well today, considering that we were in the car quite a lot. Lisa was given a crash course in how to entertain a baby by singing silly songs and with common household objects (in this case items found in a common car). She observed my magic from the front seat. Gavin and I also started to feel a bit car sick on our way down from Haleakala. Our descent was rather fast and windy, due in part to the fact that we were following a car driven by an avid Laker fan during the NBA playoffs. I think my dad wanted to get back to watch the game (even if it was only 3:00 here). Too bad the Lakers are going to win their title (hey, let's be honest) on Sunday when he's on the flight home.
2 comments:
Looks and sounds like another fun day. I'm loving all the sites you are seeing, as I'm taking notes on all to see what we should do while there. Cute sun dress you're wearing!!! Oh and if you do decide to sneak the flowers, don't worry I wont tell Dan!:)
Love the picture of you with your kids. Sounds like a fun day... and those darn Lakers did get another amazing win. Hope your dad was able to at least see OT. And hey Dan- SMILE you are in paradise. Sure miss you guys.
Post a Comment