We've been in Kaua'i for two days now and I still can't get over how different it is from Maui. This was clear from the moment we walked off the plane. The airport was much less crowded and from the beginning it felt laid-back (as though Maui wasn't already laid back- where else in the world can you wear your bathing suit night and day and not stand out?)
Our drive between Lihue and Poi'pu was memorable. Everything I'd heard about this island is true. It's very very green and very lush. Many parts of the road are tunnelled by trees on both sides. The mountains are magestic. They're very tall, very jagged, and although they have deep erosion, every inch is covered with bright green vegitation. Although there are flowers here, it is mostly green. There are miles of beaches, many of which are recommeded by my guide book ("don't miss") but too many for us to visit in a week.
Today we drove all the way up the island to the North shore. We ended up at one of these recommended beaches, Tunnels. It was a long, arduous journey (deja vu). Gavin vommitted twice, once on the way up and once on the way down. He awoke us last night with a bad headache but we didn't know until half way up the coast that he had a case of the stomach flu. I knew something was up when he refused to get out of the car at the Waiamea river outlook (see photo of the rest of us). He lost his cookies 10 minutes after that picture was taken. Fortunately, we brought along bathing suits and hotel pool towels, so we were able to clean him up as well as the car.
We arrived at Tunnels beach in time to eat lunch (Gavin felt well enough for cherry shave ice). We changed into our suits and walked down the beach to snorkel. Tunnels was recommended as "snorkelling nirvana". To our amazement, we found a large group of green sea turtles close to shore, feeding on the algae. We were able to snorkel with them for quite a while. We were right there with them, it was amazing. We were told by a local guy that he'd never seen them so close to shore.
Once we got started back toward the South shore where we're staying, Gavin lost his cherry shave ice all over our last clean pool towel and all over me. That didn't stop him from having another one in Hanalei. We stopped at what was supposed to be the best shave ice on the island (guidebook). I had the Bali Hai Sunset served over a scoop of macadamia nut ice cream. By the time we finished eating it was dusk so we headed back down the island. I wish it hadn't been so late because I love looking at the scenery as we drive around here.
2 comments:
I love your description of the Island. Almost can see it with my eyes closed. Swimming with Sea Turtles, so much fun!!!! Bet the kids loved that. Sorry to hear Gavin was sick. Sure hope this isn't a bug everyone will get. What a little trooper. I'm glad you chose to go over to Kauai after Maui!!! How will you ever go back to normal life after this trip? Why don't you just stay? We will be there(Hawaii) in July, you can hang with us!!:)
Wow! You guys were close to those sea turtles. How cool!
The cupcake class is over. I can't tell you how relieved I am. 43 people came. I didn't know what to do with my dog during the class. I decided to buy a chain and chain him to your basketball standard for the evening with a big bone I bought him. When I took him to your house, your mom's car was there. I couldn't find her. I called her name. I rang your doorbell. I knocked on your back door. So I left. I came home and called your house. A few minutes later, the Demorests told Ben that your mom was wondering were the dog came from. I walked down to your house to talk to her, but she had left. I was afraid that she would call animal control. When the class ended, the dog was unfornately still there. If you talk to your mom and she tells you about the mystery dog, tell her it was mine.
I have a couple of days to recover before Spencer's birthday party on Saturday and then Father's day dinner with Ben's family.
Do you check your e-mail? It looks like Abby is thinking about switching this month's book pick. Have you started it?
Post a Comment