Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Refreshed by Mother Ocean


We've been in the ocean every day since we arrived. The kids would sleep at the beach if we'd let them. When we arrived Sunday evening, we dropped our backpacks in the room and walked down to the ocean to see Nana and Papa. Before I knew it the kids were in the water, clothes and all.

Papa taught Gavin how to boogie board and he's been having fun with his new skills. The kids also met a friend from Arizona (Nick) and spent a good deal of time digging in the sand with him. I was out in the water when a big wave washed up on their sand structure and a HUGE sand crab (the size of my fist) surfaced and ran toward the water, right toward me. Tristan's killer instinct kicked in and he picked up the boggie board and chased after it, beating it half to death.

The ocean here is much warmer than San Diego, the surf is more gentile (at least where we are) and you're easily burned by the sun. Dan gave me an astronomy lesson this morning to explain why, using our fists as models of the Earth and sun. (basically, Hawaii is on a latitude closer to the equator so it gets more direct sunlight as the Earth rotates). If you're not interested in the scientific explanation, just remember to use your sunscreen liberally if you ever come here. There's much whining and knashing of teeth when I pull it out of my bag but we've sucessfully avoided sunburns to this point of the vacation.

Yesterday Nana and Papa took us to one of their favorite spots at Napili Bay where we had lunch and swam in the bay. The water was beautiful. I've never seen such clear, blue water. The architecture was very Frank Lloyd Wright (don't know that he designed it but it reminded me of him.) I kept thinking about a book I read a few months ago, Loving Frank. We also drove through Kapalua where we saw bright orange bouganvilla, Cook pines, immaculately stacked stone walls (now I have a model for the stone wall I want to build along the flower bed on the side of our house- Dan's thrilled about that), hibiscus, a beautiful tree with tons of bright orange blossoms (need to figure out what that one is), and my new favorite, plumeria. The plumeria are so fragrant, you can smell them as you walk around. There's a picture of a plumeria blossom on the wall of our villa.






3 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks like you're having a great time! We'll miss you at book club tomorrow!

Jill said...

Looks like so much fun. I love all the pictures. Look at Mia's cute curls in the one walking with Dan. Such a sweet photo of them. I can just picture Dan giving you that lesson and I laughed thinking of Dan's face when you told him you want a wall just like one in Hawaii!!! So happy to follow your amazing trip on your blog.

Lara said...

Okay- So I looked at the pictures again and read Jill's comment- the picture of Mia is with Dan, not your dad. I wrote day 3's comment before writing day 2's. It looks like Tristan and Jolie are already a little red. No sun here in Fruit Heights. It is feeling like the Northwest, but I love it.