We spent the evening sailing on the Gemini, a Maui-based catamaran. It was a beautiful night to sail, even though the surf was rough where we docked. We went swimming in the ocean before we headed out for our sail, the trade winds were making the sea angry. My attempt to go out deeper in the surf to empty my suit of its sand turned out to be a bad decision. The angry sea body-slammed me with a big wave and took my well-loved tortoise shell sunglasses with her. I hope she enjoys them as much as I have.
The same wave threw my 6'9" father to the ocean floor. Once we recovered and washed the sand out of our nostrils and earlobes, we met our sailing mates on board the Gemini. We listened to music, ate snacks and drank spirits (some stronger than others), and enjoyed the water and the beautiful Maui coastline. True to form, our adventure-seeking children sought out the most dangerous spot on the boat. The bow of the catamaran was covered with tight elastic netting with 2" holes. This, ofcourse, was the spot where they wanted to be, looking at the deep blue sea passing beneath them. There was also a perch off the starboard bow and the port bow (hey, sister I know nautical terms). This was another coveted spot.
Thanks, Gemini, for a lovely evening.
5 comments:
Nothing better than sailing on a catamaran. They are so fun. I hope even though the kids sat in all the not safe spots you were able to relax and enjoy. I didn't realize this was such a big family trip. Looks like your sister came also, how fun. Probably nice to have all the help with the kiddos. Y'all are living it up in Maui!!! Sorry about your sunglasses, but man am I grateful you and your dad are safe. Those waves can really kick you around. Well, it's been soggy weather here Loving all your updates!! By the way, you look fantastic!!!
Wow! Sounds like day 3 was exciting. Did you bring back-up sunglasses or did you make a trip to the gift shop? I had a similar experience in Puerto Rico. I was slammed in the ocean floor and had so much sand in my ear and nose. Is the water salty? My throat burned for days because of the salt water that was being choked down my throat.
I think the pictures look fantastic. I wish I could comment on each picture. I love the picture of Tristan in the surf. It looks like he is surfing on his bare feet (I'm not sure of the term for that). I also love the picture of Mia holding your dad's hand. Looks like she has warmed up to him quickly. I am not convinced that Dan is truly relaxing. In the picture of him, it looks a little forced. I'm sure by next week he will have let his hair down a little.
Wow! Sounds like day 3 was exciting. Did you bring back-up sunglasses or did you make a trip to the gift shop? I had a similar experience in Puerto Rico. I was slammed in the ocean floor and had so much sand in my ear and nose. Is the water salty? My throat burned for days because of the salt water that was being choked down my throat.
I think the pictures look fantastic. I wish I could comment on each picture. I love the picture of Tristan in the surf. It looks like he is surfing on his bare feet (I'm not sure of the term for that). I also love the picture of Mia holding your dad's hand. Looks like she has warmed up to him quickly. I am not convinced that Dan is truly relaxing. In the picture of him, it looks a little forced. I'm sure by next week he will have let his hair down a little.
OOPS- My computer is so slow it looks like I published twice. I'm not very "blog-literate".
Looks like you are having a wonderful time. Tristan and Jolie look like they are getting a little too much sun. Enjoy.. you have only two more days. Thinking of you.
Post a Comment