Thursday, October 08, 2009

I Need a Little Validation

The question of the day: Is it worth taking myself or one of my sick kids to the doctor to confirm that our illness is H1N1?

My answer all week has been no, it's not worth it. It's run its course through my body and I'm pretty sure what it is. But then I spoke to Dan (who's been feeling fine and going to work all week) and he challenged me by saying he didn't think this was swine flu.

OK, maybe I'm a little irritable after being caged up all week, sick myself as well as taking care of three of my four kids who are trying to fight it off. I haven't been past the front porch since we returned from San Diego Sunday evening. I slept maybe two hours last night because Mia is in the coughing stage.

I'm seriously thinking about going in to the doctor so I can get some validation around here. (Oh, and I told Dan that I hope he comes down with the virus over the weekend so that he can experience it all himself- was that mean?)

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh you make me laugh!!!:) Yes, just to prove Dan wrong, you should go. But, if you have a high copay I say don't worry about it. If you had the high fever, and awful cough well that seems to be swine flu.

Everyone is getting out here. The average time for the fever seems to be 4 days of high awful fever, then the cough that lingers forever. So far my kids, Jer and I are healthy. I feel like we're playing the waiting game for when it's going to hit us.

Molly had her flu shot last month and the Dr. told me that swine flu in healthy kids and adults is no worse than regular flu. You just feel awful!

So with that being sad I'm sorry you've been sick!!! I am happy to hear that you went to San Diego. Oh and don't tell Dan but a little evil part of me wants him to get sick so he can see how bad you feel!!!!!:)
Love you friend!!! Did you get my Birthday email?

Jill said...

Sorry, above should say "with that being said," not sad. HA!

Unknown said...

I really thought that I had the flu when I returned home in July from Utah. The nasal swab said no,but the symptoms all fit except for dizziness. I took 10 days of PenVK and decided it was the Delta Germ attack. Today I read that a virus linked to prostate cancer is a new suspect in chronic fatigue syndrome. It seems the bugs and viruses are out to get us all somehow. With a weakened immune system, anything can hitch a ride. This virus is XMRV, a retrovirus that permanently imbeds in the body.
As far as validation goes, it is really satisfying. No one believed that I had carbon monoxide fumes in my car until the meter peaked at double the allowable amount. I will be really feeling justified when I get the new vehicle,hopefully fume free. SUSAN