Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mia's Two!


I can't believe it's been two years since our little Mia arrived. The time has literally flown by. We've enjoyed her every minute of the last two years, she's our sweetheart.

Mia is talking like crazy. She talks in sentences and paragraphs and she narrates everything that goes on. Her verbal skills developed just like Jolie's: she went from making one-syllable sounds to complete sentences almost over night. This has helped eliminate SOME of her tantrums- if she can gather her wits about her she's usually able to communicate what she needs. Ofcourse, that doesn't mean she gets everything she wants, thus there are still tantrums.

I haven't posted much about Mia's goings-on. It's a full time job keeping her out of mischief these days. She's into everything. Over the weekend she managed to un-organize two drawers of ribbon that I had pain-stakenly wound into little bundles. There must be something fascinating about pulling rubber bands off bundled ribbon. Come to think of it, there are many, many things around here that Mia finds fascinating. I spent this morning baking cakes and I certainly paid the price for that. I talked Gavin into watching TV after his and Mia's help with the cakes became unmanageable. I thought Mia was in the family room watching Dora with him. At some point I realized she wasn't and discovered she had been upstairs in my closet emptying our Cherry Hill bag (water toys, sunscreen, etc.) She had rubbed a stick of sunscreen all over the place. Then I found the trail of peat moss. She had spread little piles of dirt all over the main floor. There was a pile on the sofa, several on the floor, one in the dining room... I had put two amaryllis in the front window because they weren't getting enough sunlight in the kitchen. From the trail of evidence it appeared that she'd used her shoe to transport the dirt to different locations throughout the house. How all of this happened I can only say that I was deeply involved in baking a red velvet cake and a low fat lemon pound cake. And you guessed it... I was on the phone.

We decided to invite our family and several families from our neighborhood over for cake and ice cream. Several of them had things going on (tis the most wonderful and the most busy time of the year) but we had a fun time nonetheless. I was just grateful that some of them came.



2 comments:

Jill said...

I can't believe she's two!! She is darling. Happy Birthday Mia!

Unknown said...

The terrible twos are great when the kid starts doing things on their own. Ask Dan if he recalls the Cool Whip fingerpainting on the storm door while I was outside milking the cow. He probably will not want to be reminded or was not old enough to recall. Adam stopped up the drain by stuffing drinking straws down it. Most of their antics were actually experimentation. I recall going behind the sofa to cut my hair but have no idea how old I was. Also, a favorite thing was to walk around the living room on the furniture, including the piano keyboard. It involved, balance, jumping,and other daring with a musical finish. My mother and Dad being older parents (35 and 48 when I was born) led to many times for misadventure when they had to rest and we had lots of space and time to get into outdoor activities. It was back when you could be gone for hours playing somewhere on the 65 acre farm with no one worried about your whereabouts. Oh and we did have pointed scissors too.
Now that we have had a decent snowfall of about 12 inches, I am remembering all the fun sledding when I was a kid, making snowballs and snowmen. The cold was just part of the fun.

Mia is a real cutie. I hope to get out to see her before too long while she is in this stage of independence. SUSAN