Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'm an Alien

I have a confession to make... I am officially the only person on the planet who doesn't watch American Idol.

This morning I took Mia in for her 4 month well child visit (yes, I know... I'm a month late) and our pediatrician broke the ice by asking me if I was happy with the results of last night's voting. I had NO IDEA what he was talking about. First, I assumed he was talking about the presidential primary and I was a little embarrased that I hadn't checked in on CNN to find out whether Clinton or Obama won Kentucky and Oregon. Then he said something about David vs. David. I was really lost. It didn't even occur to me that he was talking about Idol, because I didn't know until later that both finalists were Davids.

I think Jill was a little shocked this afternoon when American Idol came up in conversation and I asked her who had won. I'm a Utahn, after all. Truthfully, I left the house at 8:30 this morning and haven't had the TV or radio on all day.

Gavin is having his tonsillectomy in the morning so my ignorance of current events will definitely continue for a while. This raises an important point: is a TV show about wannabe superstars really a current event?

5 comments:

Robin said...

That's amazing. I just found out that David archuletta is from UT last week. I bet it's been ALL over the news there!
If it isn't idol talk, then it's probably gas prices, and I'd rather not even think about that one, so yes, I'd consider idol a current event for the sake of keeping things light and not depressing.

Jill said...

I hope Gavins surgery went well, and he's resting at home good. I can't wait to be there visiting in person with you!!!

The Oakridge Folks said...

You are an ALIEN, I can't believe you haven't seen the front page of the paper that comes in your house for the last 3 weeks about the 2 DAVID'S.,,David A, the balladeer vs David C. the rocker. (Who I thought always looked like he had a bed head & who's voice was always raspy and songs sounded the same.(But a nice guy) That is why I was surprised. By the way, here in Utah all the sources close so David A. are saying that there has not been one subtantiated story about Davids father being a monster stage parent.

Michelle said...

Ok, just for the record... the Trib (the paper that comes in OUR house) hasn't been running this on the front page. I'm grateful for that. Probably why we subscribe to the Trib and not the "other" paper.

I'm sure American Idol has been in there somewhere but honestly, I have no more time to read every section of the newspaper than I do time to watch TV.

Kathy said...

You're not the only one! I've never seen an episode of American Idol either!