
On Friday Gavin joined the Sans-Tonsil-and-Adnoid Club (and let me tell you, it's quite a club)!
Gavin has been having major sleep problems for a while. Have you ever witnessed a night terror? I've witnessed many. Gavin has also been getting up during the night, sometimes several times. Combine that with the wakefulness of pregnancy and a newborn, plus my sciatic nerve pain and Dan's early work hours and you have two very sleep deprived parents and one very sleep deprived three year old. I didn't attribute Gavin's sleep problems to his tonsils and adnoids until one morning when he was sleeping next to me. I could hear his labored breathing and realized that he was waking himself up, or at least out of a deep sleep, because of his breathing. Our doctor put an oxygen monitor on him during the night and confirmed that he had obstructive sleep apnea.
So the surgery went well. The worst was when he was waking up. The anesthesia made him really sick and he was also very disoriented. He was also pretty upset about the "glove" on his hand (IV). I was extremely grateful that they put IVs into children AFTER they're asleep. I held him in the recovery room for a couple hours and told him stories to distract him. Our doctor said that Gavin's tonsils were large and his adnoids were even larger. He thinks the adnoids might have been most of his problem.
Since we've been home Gavin has done well. Friday evening I stayed home with Mia and Gavin while Dan and Tristan went to the fathers and sons overnighter and Jolie went to a party with a friend. I had to keep telling Gavin to stop climbing and running around. He also wanted to eat things that weren't on our list of soft foods.
Today and yesterday have been the same, although Gavin's throat will start hurting once in a while and he'll ask for some medicine. He was up during the night complaining about his throat but the pain medication seemed to help. Tristan and Jolie seem to think that Gavin is being treated like "royalty". I guess I need to make jello and pudding more often as they're under the mistaken impression that these are fine delicacies.
2 comments:
Welcome to the club Gavin! Glad you are doing well.
Poor guy! But glad is is doing so well.
My advice: a continuous supply of popsicles. A dry throat is much more sore.
Michelle, may you get some sleep soon.
Post a Comment