Sunday, May 18, 2008

Two Words of Advice


First, if you're thinking of taking your kids to see the new Narnia movie, Prince Caspian, make sure they can sit still for 3 hours (the film is exactly 2 hours and 40 minutes from beginning to end) AND make sure they're not prone to fear of intense fight scenes, White Witches, "bad guys" and the like. My mom and I took the kids yesterday as I needed an activity while Dan was digging up the yard for our new sprinkler system. I read the Narnia series to the kids a year or so ago and we loved the first film so logic follows that the release of Prince Caspian was something we'd be all over, right?

Let's just say that Gavin, Mia and I spent the last half of the movie wandering the halls of the Cinemark and wasting my money on arcade games. It was a replay of the last Pirates movie, except this time I had a toddler AND an infant and substitute my mom for Dan in the theater with the other kids and my phone, my purse, my keys, and everything else a person might need when they're stranded. Another occasion when I had a lapse in judgement and tried to take all the kids to a movie.

Advice number two: If your kid tells you he has hives, take him seriously! Tristan came down with some itchy bumps on Thursday after he'd been outdoors all day at his Spectrum Olypics. They were at the base of his legs, around his shoes. I looked at them and figured they were nothing serious. I think we put some lotion on them. Friday he complained about them again. I bought some Cortizone cream when I went out that day and we put it on after school. By yesterday morning he was complaining about them big time and they'd spread all the way up his calves and theighs, all over his hands and arms and even some on his face. We've decided that it's poison oak or poison sumac because he'd gone on a hike with a friend on Wednesday and that's about how long it would have taken for him to have a reaction. He's been scratching terribly which is why the bumps have spread. I feel badly because it wouldn't be nearly this bad if I'd taken him seriously from the start.

So there! Take my advice and learn from my mistakes. Actually, there were many other mistake I made this week but these are the two that come to mind at the moment. What did you learn this week?

No comments: