Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mia's on the Move!


Holy moley, our baby is scooting across the floor! Last week when she officially turned seven months old she was getting up on her knees and rocking. Now she can do the army crawl from one end of the room to the other. What is happening??? I've been a little shocked at how quickly this is happening. I think I actually believed this baby was going to stay an infant forever. Wrong!

Last week I started a post about her acheivements at seven months but I never finished. So here we go...

Mia's two bottom teeth popped through about two weeks ago. This was a long time coming. She's been a fussy teether for a few months and I've been waiting and watching. She likes to stick her fingers in her mouth and chew on them. I think she likes the feel of her little chompers.

Mia went from rice cereal to pretty much everything else overnight. She loves to eat solid foods and we discovered that she can sit in the high chair (which we finally let Gavin out of just a few months ago). She will sit and play with a toy or try to pick up bits of a cracker or some peas. That's another major development: she can grab at objects (including my beautiful new sterling silver starfish earrings, now broken) and she can pick things up. It's funny to watch her. Occasionally she will raise one of her hands in front of her face and slowly open and close her fingers. It's like she's fascinated by what a fine tool she has right there at the end of her arm.

She is also very, very interested in the goings on in her world. Changing her diaper and nursing her are not nearly as easy as they once were. She's constantly trying to turn over or craning her neck to see something fascinating. Sometimes I find her doing the snowplow (butt in the air, pushing off with her feet) when it's time to go to sleep. It's as if she's learned this amazing new skill and she must practice it nonstop!

Sometimes I find myself thinking back over the last seven months and asking myself if I'd turn back time and make her a newborn again. Strangely, I don't think I would. She was precious then but I love seeing her learn all of these amazing new things. Most of all, I love the way that she lights up and kicks her chubby legs when our eyes meet. After all, that's what's really happened over the past seven months. We've become a part of each other. And I wouldn't trade that for anything...

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ok, that made me cry!!! I love that last thing you said!!! Can't believe she's 7 months already! Crawling at 7 months, wow!! Also glad those 2 teeth came in. Molly sure keeps me on my toes these days. I so wish we lived close again so our babies could grow up together. Mia is darling in the photos!!