Monday, April 05, 2010

Earthquake!

Yesterday we'd just been in San Diego for a few hours when the big 7.2 earthquake hit Baja. We had just checked into our place and Dan and the kids and I were in our living room/kitchen area. We're on the upper floor with windows all along the back wall that look over the golf course. Everything started rattling & shaking & swaying and it continued for what seemed like a long time. (One minute doesn't seem like a long period of time unless you spend the whole thing wondering if the ceiling is going to fall on you and crush you.) It was Dan who first realized it was an earthquake. My first instinct was to get everyone under a table or doorway. Dan had the better instict of getting us all outside. I need to re-program my brain against what I was taught in school (get under your desk). Anyway, no damage here but it was pretty scarry for a few minutes.

We've been getting after-shocks as well. They only last for a few seconds but it's weird to be lying in bed and feel like you're on a wave. I felt two or three last night, one of them was during the middle of the night and it woke me up. I probably should have followed my mom's advice and put shoes next to my bed. The thing is, if there were a big one during the night, my feet would be the last thing I'd be worried about.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh my goodness Michelle, how scary! So happy you're all safe, and there was no damage in San Diego.
Have a wonderful Spring Break there.