Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Main Event!



THERE'S SO MUCH EXCITEMENT AROUND HERE I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!! Tristan and Jolie were up early again this morning (did I mention they've been up at 5-something the last three days?) This time it wasn't the anticipation of Halloween that had them awake (and daylight savings hasn't helped), but it was the QUEST FOR THE CANDY! A good Mommy hides the Halloween candy before she goes to bed unless she approves of Rollos and Starbursts for breakfast. Once I got the stash out of hiding, there was some serious trading taking place on our family room floor. Gavin gave away a full-sized Snickers bar (yes, they give that out in this neighborhood) for Tristan's Play-Doh. A good mommy also monitors the trading to make sure less experienced Trick-or-Treaters aren't taken advantage of.

Last night we left for Trick or Treating at dusk (about 5:30) and we were home by 7:30. Tristan ended up ahead of us with a group of friends. I had Jolie on foot and Gavin in the jogging stroller so our pace was way too slow for Tristan. Things were more complicated this year as Gavin was in and out of the stroller at every house. I'd forgotten how scary some of the sights and sounds of Halloween can be to a little one. He was really frightened by the masks that the older kids were wearing. Jolie and I kept reminding him that they were kids in costumes and the scary faces were just masks. After a while he said "It's a mask, Mommy" as though he was trying to convince himself it was true.

Don't the kids look darling? I made Gavin's lion costume and part of Tristan's. My mom made Jolie's gorgeous dress and the other half of Tristan's costume. Jolie is Elizabeth Swan from Pirates of the Caribbean and Tristan is Jack Sparrow. We intended to give him hair and a beard and the works but I ran out of steam. I asked Tristan whether he'd rather spend an hour in hair & makeup or be out on the street that much sooner. It was and easy choice.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look so cute and excited. Oh,to
to be young again and have the thrill and excitement running through your body.